I am very pleased to welcome a new guest author here at JamJarGill: Ben Smith from The Online Grill
He emailed me directly, recently, to submit a blog post and share this Chicken Superfood Salad, probably an excellent Christmas leftover dish too, just exchange the Chicken for leftover Turkey. It looks fresh and delicious, just what we need with so much stodgy food around at this time of year to perk us all up!
You can find out more about Ben at the following links:
Hope this article inspires you too…
Chicken Superfood Salad
Let me start this off by stating the obvious: I love food. I love eating it, I love cooking it, I even love reading about it. If I don’t cycle everywhere then I would without doubt be twice the size I am. In fact, I cycle so much that I actually need to eat constantly. This soon becomes a bit of a chore more than you’d think.
I can be lazy when it comes to cooking, but there’s something about quick and easy meals that makes me feel guilty. However there are times when that is exactly what you need (the ease, not the guilt!).
That’s where this dish is just perfect: It takes minimal time, minimal fuss, and it’s filling enough to qualify as a meal!
Quick and easy has for a lot of people become a synonym for ‘unhealthy’, but with this it just isn’t the case. I call it ‘superfood salad’ mainly because I am terrible at coming up with names, but also because it’s packed full of healthy ingredients… oh, and i love alliteration.
It’s a great blend of flavors and textures; its sharp crunch of the pomegranate mixes beautifully with the warm, soft sweet potato and chicken, and… rats, I think I’m just going to have to go make this right now.
Let me know what you think of this recipe! Also be sure to let me know what you’d add or change about it. I am always looking to try new things.
Anyway, let’s make this thing!
- 250g chicken breast
- 1 stalk broccoli, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 125g bag baby spinach, washed
- 1 lemon
- 4 heaped tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 2 heaped tbsp pine nuts
- Balsamic glaze
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F. Once ready, put your chicken in for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken cooks, bring a saucepan of water to the boil and put the sweet potato cubes in. Once boiling, lower the temperature to medium-hot. Leave for 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped broccoli, and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain the potato and broccoli. Put to one side to allow it to cool.
- Once ready, take the chicken out the oven. With a knife, cut the meat into fine strips.
- Combine and heap the sweet potato, broccoli and chicken into two servings. Add spinach, pomegranate and pine nuts. Dress with a squeeze of lemon and a generous serving of balsamic glaze. Serve and enjoy!
4,247 total views, 0 views today